×

EMBS Community College Bursary Policy

Added: Mar 29, 2021

Background

The 16-19 Bursary Fund provides financial support to help students overcome specific barriers to participation so they can thrive in education. The amount of funding available for each college to distribute has been determined by the government and there is a limited amount of funds to be distributed. EMBS Community College is therefore committed to distributing the bursary fund to those students with the greatest need. The notes here give further detail on the bursary fund, how applications can be made and how decisions will be reached.

Eligibility

There are two types of 16-19 bursary:
1. A vulnerable bursary of up to £1,200 per year for young people in one of the defined vulnerable groups
2. Discretionary bursaries which institutions award to meet individual needs, for example, to help with the cost of transport, meals, books and equipment

To be eligible to receive a bursary, a student:
Must meet the eligibility requirements, set by the Education & Skills Funding Agency. The key requirements relevant to those at the School are:
● Must be aged 16 or over but under 19 on 31st August before the start of the academic year in question) to be eligible for help from the bursary fund for that academic year
● Must meet the residency criteria in ESFA funding regulations for post-16 provision
● Is enrolled on an eligible education provision
● Has provided the relevant evidence and it has been retained

Bursary fund

Vulnerable Bursaries are fixed at £1,200 per year for a course that lasts 30 weeks or more (this amount will reduce accordingly for students if they join part way through an academic year, and are designed to support the young people in most need, identified by the government as:
● Young people in care
● Young care leavers
● Young people in receipt of Income Support or Universal Credit in their own right
● Young people in receipt of Employment and Support Allowance or Universal Credit and Disability Living or Personal Independence Payments in their own right

Payment will be made in kind on a weekly basis, or as otherwise agreed by the college, but this will be determined on a case by case basis, and taking into account each students’ commitment and attitude towards their learning.

Discretionary Bursaries are for those students in low-income households, whose parent/guardian is in receipt of any of the following benefits:
● Income Support
● Income-Based Job Seekers Allowance
● Tax Credits (with a gross annual income of less than £16,190)
● Employment and Support Allowance
● Guaranteed Element of State Pension Credit
● Housing Benefit or Council Tax Benefit
● Universal Credit

Payment of the Discretionary Bursary will be paid in kind as agreed by the college. This may be in the form of a contribution to travel costs where a student lives more than 2 miles away from the college.

Application

Any student who believes they are eligible for any level of funding from the 16-19 Bursary Fund should complete an application form and hand it in to the Funding and Systems Team as soon as possible after admission in September. They must also provide the appropriate documentation to prove entitlement, e.g. a letter setting out a benefit entitlement, or written confirmation of the student’s current or previous looked-after status. Students must apply for the Bursary Fund at the start of each academic year, as financial circumstances need to be reviewed. Students will then be met individually to determine their actual financial needs, and this can be reviewed as necessary throughout the academic year.

Payments

Bursaries will be paid in kind e.g. bus passes, meal vouchers, books, or equipment purchased on the student’s behalf.

Evidence

Household income can be evidenced by receipt of benefit and/or P60, Tax Credit Award Notice / Universal Credit Assessment or evidence of self-employment income. The allowance will be established upon agreement by the school to make awards to students. All evidence of household income will be kept in strict confidence.

Attendance and behaviour requirement
In order to qualify for bursary support, students must adhere to the following criteria:
– Students should have good attendance (normally 80% or higher) and a committed attitude to learning.
– We expect all our students to maintain a good standard of behaviour at all times in lessons and outside of lessons.

Students will not be funded for holidays and other unauthorised absences. We would also like to discourage any appointments being made during college hours to avoid any disruption, however, students will not be penalised for any medical and authorised absences.
All payments will be subject to review by the Head of Sixth Form.

Decisions

All applications will be considered and assessed by the Sixth Form students Admin Team. The student/parent/carer will be notified of the decision, and an indication of the amount, if applicable, within 21 days of receipt of the application. You have the right to appeal to the Head of Sixth Form if you feel that your case has not been given fair consideration. This must be in writing. The final decision rests with the Head of Sixth Form.
Queries

Any queries relating to an application should be made to Sixth Form Student Support Team in the first instance, by telephone on 01865 546774 or email at sidrah@embs.ac.uk

Testimonials

«...I not only consider EMBS a college - I also see it as my family.... »

«I arrived in this country four months ago, without any confidence in my English and really scared to be an independent person at sixteen. I didn't know what my next steps were since the education in my country is really different. One day, my aunt bought me to EMBS. At the beginning I was really insecure as I didn't even know how to use the bus and get there, it made me feel like a child surrounded by grown up people that didn’t understand me at all. Ever since I started to study here, everything negative that I used to feel has changed completely. I’ve got to meet amazing people like Jo and Jane, who took care of me and were concerned about my future. I’ve also got to make amazing friends like Aisha and Abner that always make me laugh and feel positive about life. Of course, this is not the only thing that the EMBS has given me: they also are deeply involved in my education and they help me in any way possible to achieve my purpose, which is go to university and study human rights. If I am being honest, I not only consider EMBS a college - I also see it as my family. »

~Daniella

«...I really enjoyed my time at EMBS, meeting so many different people and making lots of fun and happy memories.... »

«Before I came to EMBS I was very shy and often felt very awkward to start conversations with people around me, I never spoke unless I was spoken to but after a few months of being here I gained confidence and was able to communicate with other people comfortably, made good friends and feel like I knew myself. I really enjoyed my time at EMBS, meeting so many different people and making lots of fun and happy memories.»

~Aakifah

«...The staff are really nice and friendly.... »

«Before I came to EMBS I was very shy and not confident, I used to be very afraid to speak English outside of college. But after several months, EMBS helped me to gain more confidence and especially improve my spoken and written English. The staff are really nice and friendly.»

~Daniel