×

Top Tips For Learning English From Home

Added: Jan 29, 2021

By Tasneem Khan
(COMMUNITY COLLEGE TEACHER)

1) Watch an English movie of your interest with subtitles and watch again without subtitles. Tell your friend or family member the story in English. What’s the movie about? (Speaking practice)

2) Read a news article and discuss with your friend or family member. Express your views if you agree or not. Ask the person ‘What do you think?’ to keep the discussion going.

3) Capture a memorable moment in your diary. Write about ‘what, where and when’ it happened. Describe it and write it in detail. (grammar and writing practice)

4) Set yourself small goals, for example, Order a meal in English.

5) Write messages in English on WhatsApp to your classmates.

6) Make it a habit and set a time: schedule your time every day for 20 minutes.

7) Apply what you learn: if you don’t use what you have learnt, you are probably going to forget it.

8) Listen to your favorite English song. Write new words on ‘post-it’ notes and stick them up around your house.

Testimonials

«...I not only consider EMBS a college - I also see it as my family.... »

«I arrived in this country four months ago, without any confidence in my English and really scared to be an independent person at sixteen. I didn't know what my next steps were since the education in my country is really different. One day, my aunt bought me to EMBS. At the beginning I was really insecure as I didn't even know how to use the bus and get there, it made me feel like a child surrounded by grown up people that didn’t understand me at all. Ever since I started to study here, everything negative that I used to feel has changed completely. I’ve got to meet amazing people like Jo and Jane, who took care of me and were concerned about my future. I’ve also got to make amazing friends like Aisha and Abner that always make me laugh and feel positive about life. Of course, this is not the only thing that the EMBS has given me: they also are deeply involved in my education and they help me in any way possible to achieve my purpose, which is go to university and study human rights. If I am being honest, I not only consider EMBS a college - I also see it as my family. »

~Daniella

«...I really enjoyed my time at EMBS, meeting so many different people and making lots of fun and happy memories.... »

«Before I came to EMBS I was very shy and often felt very awkward to start conversations with people around me, I never spoke unless I was spoken to but after a few months of being here I gained confidence and was able to communicate with other people comfortably, made good friends and feel like I knew myself. I really enjoyed my time at EMBS, meeting so many different people and making lots of fun and happy memories.»

~Aakifah

«...The staff are really nice and friendly.... »

«Before I came to EMBS I was very shy and not confident, I used to be very afraid to speak English outside of college. But after several months, EMBS helped me to gain more confidence and especially improve my spoken and written English. The staff are really nice and friendly.»

~Daniel