×

Students Partake in Horse Therapy

Added: Jan 29, 2020

When tragedy strikes, people cope and heal in different ways. Some turn to their church or mosque, some reconnect with nature, some lean on their friends and family, and some seek professional help. There are endless forms of therapy for those who are overcoming trauma. At EMBS Banbury, our students are partaking in one, somewhat unconventional form of therapy – horse riding.

In a four week programme hosted by Live Love Be LTD. Therapy Through Horses, our students get a chance to interact with horses, learning how to brush, walk, and care for them. Students suffering from anxiety, low self-esteem, and PTSD particularly benefit from spending time with these majestic animals, as they learn how to form good relationships with the horses. Horses are perceptive of human emotions, but non-judgmental – so it allows the students to learn about their own behaviour through the horses’ reactions to them. It has a positive effect on their overall wellbeing, emotional intelligence, relationships, and confidence.

Emma Leckie, the psychotherapist who spearheads the organisation, had this to say about our visit:

“These pictures sum up a wonderful day yesterday with the Mill Farm herd and the most extraordinary group of young refugees from EMBS College, Banbury. It is a privilege to spend time with them and share the love of the horses.”

A huge thank you to Emma Leckie and the Therapy Through Horses programme. Our students left feeling a little more in touch with nature and animals, as well as with themselves.

Testimonials

«...I not only consider EMBS a college - I also see it as my family.... »

«I arrived in this country four months ago, without any confidence in my English and really scared to be an independent person at sixteen. I didn't know what my next steps were since the education in my country is really different. One day, my aunt bought me to EMBS. At the beginning I was really insecure as I didn't even know how to use the bus and get there, it made me feel like a child surrounded by grown up people that didn’t understand me at all. Ever since I started to study here, everything negative that I used to feel has changed completely. I’ve got to meet amazing people like Jo and Jane, who took care of me and were concerned about my future. I’ve also got to make amazing friends like Aisha and Abner that always make me laugh and feel positive about life. Of course, this is not the only thing that the EMBS has given me: they also are deeply involved in my education and they help me in any way possible to achieve my purpose, which is go to university and study human rights. If I am being honest, I not only consider EMBS a college - I also see it as my family. »

~Daniella

«...I really enjoyed my time at EMBS, meeting so many different people and making lots of fun and happy memories.... »

«Before I came to EMBS I was very shy and often felt very awkward to start conversations with people around me, I never spoke unless I was spoken to but after a few months of being here I gained confidence and was able to communicate with other people comfortably, made good friends and feel like I knew myself. I really enjoyed my time at EMBS, meeting so many different people and making lots of fun and happy memories.»

~Aakifah

«...The staff are really nice and friendly.... »

«Before I came to EMBS I was very shy and not confident, I used to be very afraid to speak English outside of college. But after several months, EMBS helped me to gain more confidence and especially improve my spoken and written English. The staff are really nice and friendly.»

~Daniel